Friday, May 11, 2007

May 11 - Third Day of Discernment

These days of discernment are something I could get used to. I can take my time getting up in the morning, and can make my way down to the office at a leisurely pace. Since breakfast is in silence, people go at different times and leave as they finish. The first time that you do something together is at 9 AM for the morning Mass. This morning I thought that we'd run out of wine and so I did a quick walk to the Main Chapel for another bottle (from a little refrigerator that's in the back, through a door, around the corner, and at floor level - Vincenzo showed me). When I got back I noticed that everything had already been put out, including the wine. Well, at least we're ready for tomorrow also.

During the prayers of intercession we were invited to mention Brothers and Lasallian Partners who had had an important influence in our lives, and who may or may not be dead. Most of us mentioned three names - mine were Hugh Kennedy, Bertram Coleman, and Timothy Diener. In hearing the names mentioned by those whom I knew, it was also evident (in a sort of intuitive way) how the people they mentioned were reflected in their own personalities. I could only hope for the same in my case, but I've got a long way to go.

The morning had several components for those attending the Chapter, and all of them were included in a small Discernement Days booklet that they carried around with them. For my part, I did work on liturgies and resources, walking around as well to take a number of photographs. One group that met, for example, were the "C Group" leaders, who were overseeing the late afternoon discussions / sharing that were being held. They would bring up questions, or insights, or listen to the plans for the following day. These meetings were held in another room here that's set up for simulataneous translation. Those translaters have a pretty strenuous job, and they're almost all Brothers from various parts of the world. They really are doing a yeoman's job.

I had hoped to go with Br. Leonardo to the music store that had the music stand that I wanted to get for our choral group and for other venues coming up, but he had a last-minute something come up and couldn't go. But it was all for the best, because a little while later I received a note saying that the bishop for the Founder's Day Mass wanted to know what readings we were doing and what the program was. I received this about 4:30 PM. When I tried to call his secretary back there was no answer. Then I put together a fax and went upstairs to Carla, one of the secretaries, so that she could fax it before 5 PM, when all of Rome apparently, and certainly the Vatican, goes home. She did fax it, but an hour later I found it back at my desk with a post-it saying that it hadn't gone through. I got into her office with the help of Lorenzo and tried to fax it myself. No luck, just a lot of ringing. Then I saw Br. Leonardo at dinner and he said that I could go with him to the Vatican tomorrow, where he had to go anyway, and we could stop at the bishop's office. (I don't know if he will be in, but at least we could drop off an envelope with the information.) All I had to do now is find someone to fill in for starting the music at the morning Mass, which I would have to miss. But it all worked out when I spoke to the people involved.

Another interesting twist was the statue of De La Salle that suddenly showed up in the plaza area next to the Main Chapel. It wasn't there two days ago and suddenly there it was, with Massimo (the handyman guy who does everything and has been here forever) putting in a couple of lights to light it up at night. He and Br. Marcellino had gone up to Turin to pick it up and had just brought it back. Apparently, it's a gift from the Brothers in Italy and they hope that we can dedicate / bless it on the feast of the Founder. So Lorenzo saw me and asked if we could just tack on a little something to the Mass for that day, bring everyone outside and bless the statue. Sure, no problem. Now I've just got to figure out where I can find a statue prayer, let alone a little ritual for it all. If you have any ideas, send them my way (soon).

Central Commission meeting at 5 PM as usual. Topics ranged from finalizing the schedule on Sunday, the last day of this phase to the evaluations that had been turned in by the Brothers concerning the first two phases. I haven't read them yet, but if there was anything significant it would have been brought up. One of the things that those of us in communications should be conscious of is the fact that lots of things are shared through the internet, and we should be discreet in deciding the kinds of pictures that we make universally available. It's a good caution, since some of the pictures from here would make it seem that we've had a lot of parties (uh, I mean presentations) from the various regions. Well, there have been some, but the majority of time has been spent either in groups large and small or at prayer. It's just that you can take only so many pictures of people sitting around a table or in the Aula Magna. This is an intense group, almost all of whom are go-getters who want to get things done. Being in a General Chapter doesn't change that at all, as is clear from their conversations and serious demeanor.

The Exposition of the Blessed Sacramento this evening had an Indian theme to it. Freddy had three people do the Indian rite of adoration (fire, flowers, incense) while the choir sang one of the Bhanyans that he brought. Then, throughout the time that we were there, he would play a Bhanyan on the CD, softly and in the background. It all fit quite well. Tomorrow evening I hope to make it more of a Byzantine flavor, with the icon of Christ from the CIL chapel and perhaps even something that one of the Brothers suggested to me in keeping with our theme - putting together some kind of tent on the altar within which the monstrance would be placed. I've spoken with Freddy about it, and he will see what he can do. God knows what the Brothers of the house here will think of that. Who said that liturgy wasn't adventurous.
=============
More pictures at http://picasaweb.google.com/gvangrie/ItalyMay11